Thursday, February 19, 2009

New to the Wiki World


I admit it. I'm a newbie to the World of Wikis. In the past, my only experience was going to Wikipedia when I needed quick information (wiki is Hawaiian for "quick"). Didn't know how the info got there, just that it was there, waiting for me and a million others to access. After a little education on my part, I've learned that wikis are an interactive medium which allows users to collaborate, read, and edit common information stored in one spot in a simple and easy manner. Think of the possibilities. What a great tool for organizing an event, activity, reunion, anniversary, or trip. What about a course-centered wiki for teachers and instructors? Perhaps students working on a major project could set up a project wiki. No more sending emails back and forth to all parties involved. No more meetings in person unless absolutely necessary. Now that I've learned the process, I am quite taken with the possibilities and uses of wikis in both my personal and professional life. It's pretty easy to set up and even easier to use, as simple as sending an email! There are many providers who offer free wikis. Google has a product called Google sites which is basically a free wiki (they don't call it a wiki but it operates the same). Another provider is pbwiki. If you want to shop around for a wiki that has features that are just right for you go to wikimatrix where you can compare providers and what they offer. I'm excited to start out on the quickie, wiki road.


If you'd like to learn more about wikis and how they work, read the online article What is a Wiki and and How to Use One for your Projects by Tom Stafford and Matt Webb or view the YouTube video below, What is a Wiki?


No comments:

Post a Comment